SEO, or search engine optimization, is the process of improving a websites chances of ranking on the search engines. Search engines are websites that you can type a query into, in order to find an answer. They provide answers by crawling the internet for information. These crawlers are often called search engine ‘spiders’.
Here are the 5 most popular search engines, according to Search Engine Watch:
- Google, 1.6 billion estimated monthly unique visitors
- Bing, 400 million estimated monthly unique visitors
- Yahoo, 300 million estimated monthly unique visitors
- Ask, 245 million estimated monthly unique visitors
- Aol Search, 125 million estimated monthly unique visitors
You’ve probably already used Google. Maybe you were looking for holiday gifts so you typed “best holiday gifts for women 2016.” The query, or keyword, you used in this case was “best holiday gifts for women 2016.” Users often start with a general search, such as “holiday gifts” and then narrow down their searches to be more specific, in order to get more relevant search results.
The process of SEO involves optimizing a website in order to make that website more relevant to its ideal users.
For example, if you were a technology blog covering topics on holiday gifts, you might title your post “best technology gifts for women 2016.” This would be a good fit if you discussed things like cameras, cell phones, technology accessories, etc. However this would not be a good fit if you discussed car insurance. This would not be good for search engines and users!
The most important thing to know about SEO is that you should only optimize a website for users, never for search engines. Ultimately it is the search engines job to decide what content deserves to rank on the first page of search results. Your job as a business owner or website owner is to make sure your website best serves your users.
Our Recommended SEO Tips For Beginners:
- Optimize your website for users not search engines
- Write unique, relevant, and helpful content
- Write amazing content for your ideal readers/customers!
- Don’t keyword stuff your articles
- Don’t engage in ‘blackhat SEO’ or unethical SEO practices
- Follow Google’s Webmaster Guidelines here
- Follow Bing’s Webmaster Guidelines here
- Follow Yahoo’s Webmaster Guidelines here
In case you didn’t know, this website is dedicated to every SEO professional working on making a difference in the world of search. We call it “The SEO Hero,” because we think that experts working towards the greater good should be considered superheroes! Contact an SEO expert in Las Vegas, The SEO Hero here.